About Me

A writer trapped in the body of a different writer.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Television Method of Practice

I never expected to enjoy teaching, but I do.

Practice is a drag. I used to hate playing music by myself. I didn't understand why we practice:

To make it easier to play.

However, deep philosophy is generally not the best way to connect with young students.

I also try to explain that as little as 5 minutes every day is FAR MORE BENEFICIAL than 5 hours of cramming before our weekly lesson.

I pondered a realistic recommendation that would not strike fear into the hearts of students, and that parents would help to implement...

THE TELEVISON METHOD OF PRACTICE

I figure the average 30 minute television program runs for about 6-7 minutes, then goes to commerical for 3-4.

Once your program begins that break, hit the Mute button, and grab your guitar/bass/keyboard/practice pad & drum sticks.

If you can have your instrument with you during your designated "television time" in the evening, you will find yourself making music for at least 10 minutes a day.

You might even forget to unmute when your show comes back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment