About Me

A writer trapped in the body of a different writer.

Monday, January 28, 2013

Muse

When I feel Happy, I listen to music.
When I feel Sad, I listen to music.

I listen to certain songs and I'm transported back to a specific moment from my Past.
I listen to certain songs and I imagine the limitless Future.

I hear the Byrds "Turn Turn Turn" and I think of Uncle Steve's brother's funeral.
I heard the news of my brother's baby and was so overcome with Joy that a fully composed lullabye fell out of my brain through my fingers and onto the page and piano.

in summation if you need me
i'll be learning a song
or writing a song
maybe just listening
jamming with a willing student on their favourite song
demanding a frustrated student replay their least favourite scale
or being a student and taking a lesson
seeing a good show and feeling that lousy feeling afterwards that means your alive and you want it bad
perhaps reading a book about a musician
watching a performance on film
conspiring
yearning
or desiring
(which is what I call listening to Bob Dylan's album Desire)

No comments:

Post a Comment