About Me

A writer trapped in the body of a different writer.

Monday, April 29, 2013

An Undercover Police Officer at Georgetown High School: 10 Years Later


My distrust of The Government began ten years ago when there was an undercover police officer at Georgetown High School.

It was a secret operation that only three people knew about (One math teacher was quoted after the busts went down, saying that he was devastated because he had thought she was the best math student he ever had)

Larry Borin - Superintendent of Schools at the time 

Richard Spencer - Chief of Georgetown Police Department at the time

Undercover Police Officer (known henceforth as Ladycop) 

Ladycop's mission was to infiltrate the school as a "student" and to determine which students were selling drugs. 

The definition of entrapment is:

The act of government agents or officials that induces a person to commit a crime he or she is not previously disposed to commit.
and that is basis of my beef. Ladycop wasn't offered drugs by these children, She searched them out.  She ended up with some weed and a few pills.  Even that wasn't easy to scrape up.  That was months of work. 

and yet I remember 6-10 kids being expelled. The Administration wrote letters to schools in the surrounding area recommending they don't take them in. 

Following up with the involved parties and asking them about this ordeal from the past would be Difficult and Emotional.  I'm not going to do that.  I don't see any reason to pry.  I assume they were all better off without a High School that would hire the police for a secret mission to entrap them.  

I wonder if they will be invited to their 10 Year Reunion this summer and I wonder if they will be up for going.  

I wonder why no prominent lawyers stepped in to protect these kids, or at least push the issue, ask some questions of the police and school about their motives. all I remember is a puff piece in the Georgetown Record lauding the efforts of the police.

Then again I don't check many facts, I never made it to the Library and the story is just old enough that nothing at all exists on the internet.  

If you know someone involved and they want to share their side of the story please send them my way, for some reason I can't shake the memory and enjoy discussing it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment