About Me

A writer trapped in the body of a different writer.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Drinkin' Songs (Part 2)

Recent news events have triggered serious introspection on the jivefront, and thus two fresh posts await publication, entitled

"Who Killed Dr. Kevorkian?"

and

"The Importance of The Holster: Reflections on the Plaxico Burress Story"

However, in the wake of the most recent blurb about drinking songs, I received the following (posted below) from my father. Gun & Death jive will have to wait. Probably a good thing.

Two of Dad's original compositions resonate as a soundtrack throughout many childhood memories. One is a rolling country number called "West Side of Town" and the other is a straight up blues, the Drinkin' Man Blues. He still plays it live today, usually as a set-closer.

*****

Webster’s defines a drinking song as “a song on a convivial theme appropriate for a group engaged in social drinking”. With that in mind, I set out to write a song that any person, drinking alcohol in any form, in any bar, anywhere in the world, could relate to. I wanted them to relate to my song in a way that would make them want to get out of their seats, find a spot to dance and while raising their hands high above their heads, shout “drink, drink, drink”.

The working man’s bar in my neighborhood taught me the power of a good drinking song. It was a blue collar, country music joint at the bottom of State Hospital hill. At lunch, after first shift and then again after second shift let out, the place would fill up with men and women, young and old. They seemed to want to forget, as quickly as possible, what had just happened on their shifts at the mental hospital. They jammed the bar and put quarters into the jukebox and on Saturday nights they danced to a live country band.

Once or twice a night, a song would come on the jukebox that would make people sing along. Regardless of age, sex, nationality or occupation, they would sing along. For a few brief moments, all would be one. That, to me, was power. Songs like “Crazy” by Patsy Kline and Ray Price’s “For The Good Times” would come on and most people would stop conversations, snuff out their butts and sing along. Even the longhaired, underage kid at the end of the bar joined in on “Crazy”.

I figured my best shot at writing a song that people would sing while drinking was to write a song about drinking. I’ve been singing it for over 30 years and it has never failed to make them sing, dance and smile.

Drinking Man Blues

I went down to see my doctor
He said I was looking pale
He then wrote a prescription
For a cold case of golden ale

I’m a drinking man Drink, drink, drink

But I only drink for my health

No comments:

Post a Comment