About Me

A writer trapped in the body of a different writer.

Monday, July 25, 2011

In Sickness and In Health

I haven't had Health Insurance since April 2011.

April 2010 I experienced massive migraines.

*Worth noting here that up to that point I never believed people with "invisible" ailments. Migraines. Stomach aches. I used to laugh at the kids at Berklee who would show up to class with wrists in a cast, victims of Carpal Tunnel, from practicing too much. Those poor delusional bastards...

That was until last April. A week of powerful, debilitating migraines.

At that point I saw Doctors. Neurologists. They all gave me a clean bill of health, as well as dirty bills of Debt.

In the end, the Chiropractor did more Healing than all of those greasy pill-hawkers combined.

I was insured at the time, and yet the bills that came were also Debilitating. For non-diagnosis' and buck-passing. For nothing.

These bills piled up and I eventually paid them with my credit card, which means I'm still paying for them today.

AND I HAD HEALTH INSURANCE AT THE TIME.

I decided right then and there I didn't want to play anymore. Why should I have health insurance?

The general answer is thus: "In case something catastrophic happens..."

Sorry to be a Downer, but If something catastrophic happens, it's going to be Bad. Being rich or poor won't matter at that point.

I've tried again recently, to get insured. I make too much money for the Commonwealth Care. I cannot afford the Commonwealth Connector. Those are my two legal options.

*****

Paying for health insurance is akin to gambling that I will get sick.

In case you didn't know, "the secret" of life is that if you desire something to happen, it will. That's true.

The problem with health insurance, to me, is that it's almost Hoping to get sick. If not, your monthly fee is Wasted.

The whole thing makes me sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment