About Me

A writer trapped in the body of a different writer.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Youth Vote

I often wonder why "young people"

(under 30, abbreviated YP henceforth)

do not vote?

According to pictures and charts I found briefly searching The Internet,

the percentage of YP voting since 1976 has been as low as 40% (in 1996 and 2000)

and no higher than 50% (1976, 1980 & 1984, then back again 2004 & 2008)

What I remembered to be a HUGE youth presence in the 08 Obama campaign turned out a 5-6% increase from 2004.

Which seems "sorta" Huge to me,

however...

I wonder what % of YP are registered on Facebook. I'm willing to wager it's more than 50%. We're interested in the well being of Society, just on a more personal, gossipy, high school level.

***

My friends & mentors knitting at the bar once told me that if I didn't vote then my opinion didn't really matter in any political discussions. They recommended submitting a blank ballot as the Proper Way of expressing your disinterest in the system.

Please Vote this year Young People. Even if you hate everything, submit a blank ballot.

1 comment: