About Me

A writer trapped in the body of a different writer.

Friday, December 30, 2011

2011: The Venn Diagram

This was meant to be a year-in-review type post,

but 2011 is, and forever shall be, The-Year-We-Were-Married.

It should be disclaimed that we are three days shy of the Kardashian Mark,

and I therefore have little jurisdiction on the subject,

but in my quest for Knowledge & Understanding the question was posed to many married couples,

What is the secret to your success?

and I find myself compelled to dispel the most common answer: Never go to bed angry.

I flipped this one around & My Old Lady wholeheartedly agreed: Never have a fight when tired.

I also get queasy at the notion of 'two people becoming one'

A better analogy is that of two circles becoming a Venn Diagram. Although our circles are now joined, there are parts of My Old Lady's circle that have nothing to do with me and never will. I must revere that part of the circle with the same respect as the portion we now share.

Seems pretty basic, right?

A final idea, one I've received from many angles, is the "watch out Buddy things are good Now, but they are going to Change..." and their voices trail off into the whimper that comes only from years of harsh compromise...

but again, this sentiment seems painfully obvious.

We have both acknowledged that our lives will change, which is exactly why we have faith in each other as co-pilots for the rest the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment