About Me

A writer trapped in the body of a different writer.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Landladies Against Illiteracy: Volume 2

The second batch of books from our good friend and ex-landlady were amazing.

My old lady read James Baldwin's "Giovanni's Room" and Ernest Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises" but that was a while back and I can't quite recall exactly what she thought of them.

I read David Sedaris' "Barrel Fever" and instantly became a fan of his, backdated to 1994. Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" contains some of the most scary & horrible passages I've ever read. It was awesome.

Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" was thought provoking, but I feel an urge to disclaim it as "overly sci-fi", especially for an underly sci-fi guy such as myself.

I couldn't stomach Jonathan Swift's "Gulliver's Travels", I literally gave up on the 3rd paragraph. However, I've witnessed the television miniseries starring Ted Danson, and have faith that no stones were left unturned in that interpretation.

I very much enjoyed Gabriel Garcia Marquez' "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" and am quite sure in my opinion that (Spoiler Alert) Santiago did NOT bang Angela.

I am currently reading Hermann Hesse's "Siddhartha" and upon completion will gather these books and return them.

No comments:

Post a Comment